Dunham Public Library History
General Nicholas Herkimer’s Tryon County Militia (760 soldiers) camped on the site of the future Dunham home on August 5, 1777.
Whitestown was the first permanent settlement of Oneida County.
In between the year of the Sadaquada Patent land purchase by Judge Hugh White (the founder of Whitesboro) in 1784 and the act of legislation passed on March 7, 1788 to establish Whitestown, a tavern, owned by Daniel White (a son of Hugh White), was built in the approximate location of today’s Dunham Public Library. White began operating the tavern in March 1785. The structure’s exact location is still under debate but it was known have been situated across the village green from the Whitestown Hall (aka the current Whitesboro court house), a structure built in 1807.
White’s tavern was operated as a hotel by Lewis Berry from 1806 – 1812, who then ran a second nearby home as a hotel until his death in 1849. Mr. Berry’s hotel was a favorite stopping point for those attending court at the Whitestown Hall.
The tavern/hotel was eventually destroyed by a fire and the lot was chosen by Moses Earl Dunham as a site for his home.